Lax Kw’alaams Band members are encouraged to apply for funding for short term, job readiness programs through the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development Ltd. For an application, please visit our office in Prince Rupert, the Band Office in Lax Kw’alaams, or email Lisa Girbav at firstname.lastname@example.org for an electronic copy.
Training is available for all Lax Kw’alaams Band members, including urban and rural members living outside of the traditional territory of the Coast Tsimshian.
Eligible Band members will need to complete a standard application process with supporting documents, and submit them to Lisa Girbav, Administrative Assistant for the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development. The required documents are:
– Completed application form, including program/course start and end dates, signed by self & witness
– Copy of your UPDATED resume
– Written letter of intent (one-page letter stating your career goals and why you’d like to take this training program)
– Copy of your Status Card for self & dependents
– Copy of any certifications you’ve received recently
– Acceptance letter from the educational institution, including contact information for institute (mailing address, phone #, fax #, email)
– Cost-share letter (if another agency is funding and/or if the tuition is over $5,000 – which is the maximum for the fiscal year)
Please submit an updated, typed resume with your most recent contact information and work experience. The written letter of intent is similar to a cover letter, except the letter should explain why you want to take this training. These two documents help our office in finding our members work, once the training program is complete.
You can bring your Status Card into the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development office, and we can take a photo copy for you here. If you do not have a status card, we can confirm your membership on your behalf with the Lax Kw’alaams Band office.
The Lax Kw’alaams Business Development funds tuition up to $5,000 per fiscal year. Any program exceeding this amount will require a cost share with another organization (ex. Tricorp, Lax Kw’alaams Band etc.). We can help you find a funding partner and make arrangements for a cost share. Please call our office to chat with Lisa about this option.
100 1st Ave East, Prince Rupert BC V8J 1A6
250-627-5733 ext. 2026