Reporting to the COO of the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development, this position is responsible for overseeing and managing the day-to-day general operations of leases, permits and rentals, including lease details, rents, bylaws, and tenant information for the Lax Kw’alaams Holdings properties. Additionally, you will serve as a point of contact for maintenance and renovations, as well as the Lax Kw’alaams Holdings and lease/permit holders.
This position is accountable for decisions made in the course of work, meeting deadlines, and following directions from the COO. You are required to act independently and be able to make defendable decisions. The incumbent works independently to plan and achieve established priorities, determine work methods and processes, and ensure work is completed effectively and efficiently.
Please see the attached PDF for the full job description: LaxBDL_Property Manager 2022
- Maintain an in-person presence for clients to have a point of contact during office hours (9am-12pm, with additional hours as required). When away from the properties/buildings, being available during business hours by phone to support clients’ needs. In some cases, being available for after-hours support may be required (e.g., allowing access/lock up for after-hours use of boardroom, tending to accidental alarms, responding to client questions about access, etc.).
- Ensure the smooth operation of all A/V equipment, internet connectivity, security systems etc.
- Negotiate Lease terms, prepare and draft commercial/residential property leases, advertise/show available units, vet and interview tenants and evict tenants.
- Address tenant complaints, violations, and problems.
- Troubleshoot and respond to after-hours issues.
- Help with data entries, cheque requisitions and purchase orders.
- Ensure and adhere to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Track the use of boardrooms and office spaces to ensure clients are being invoiced accordingly.
- Assist with the marketing of available space and administration and execution of leases.
- Schedule room bookings, as well as janitorial services (when needed)
- Assist in the evaluation of potential new properties and renovation projects, as required;
- Prepare/create/update policy and procedure manuals for the community hall rentals,
- Map existing properties for lease renewals/update outdated leases.
Implement service, maintenance and repair:
- Oversee the repair and maintenance of leased properties and permit sites
- Ensure routine inspections are conducted and establish maintenance schedules of properties
- Consult with contractors and maintenance workers on renovation and repair needs, work conducted and timelines established
- Monitor garbage disposal and arrange for any needed snow removal
- Maintain confidentiality
- Adhere to Administrative standards, policies and procedures
- Bring to the attention of the COO if practices are not consistent with the current knowledge of acceptable professional standards
Conduct administrative tasks:
- Ensure compliance and quality assurance are adhered to throughout each property/building
- Preparing and submitting reports as requested
- Maintain records of past and current information on leases and tenants
- Organize informational meetings and gatherings and/or prepare communication tools such as brochures, PowerPoint presentations etc., associated with property management
- Ensure tenants are up to date with lease obligations
- Receiving and depositing payments and security deposits from long and short term tenants
Other related duties as assigned:
- Perform all other duties within the scope of the position, and as requested by the COO. These will be according to the employee’s range of skills, competence, training and experience, or part of a training/development plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience managing complaints and resolving disputes.
- Policy development is an asset.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to write clear and accurate reports.
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and expeditiously under tight timeframes, deadlines and competing priorities.
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy and sound judgement.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate or diploma in one or more of the following: business administration, property management, or equivalent in experience and relevant course work, or extensive carpentry experience combined with administrative skills.
- Knowledge of effective administrative, records management, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of BC Landlord and Tenant Act.
- Knowledge of property management.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Suite and a willingness to learn new software programs.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Enjoy working within an entrepreneurial environment that is mission focused, results driven and community oriented.
Physical demands and working environment:
- You may be required to do moderate lifting and climb stairs on a regular basis
- You will have to deal with emergencies and stressful situations at any time
- This position manages a number of projects and maybe interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of clients and visitors
- As responsibilities become more demanding, weekly hours may increase
- The incumbent works independently and with initiative within established policies, procedures, objectives and priorities. Decision-making requires developing procedures where none exist, setting work priorities, ensuring fiscal accountability, implementing projects, systems and services, communicating with agencies and third-party partners, and determining which recommendations are forwarded to the COO.
- Acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Valid Drivers License (Class 4 or 5 desirable).
- Mandatory confidentiality is a condition of employment for all staff. Failure to comply will result in dismissal. Employees are expected to follow all guidelines harmoniously and cooperatively, creating a team approach in their duties for the Corporation’s future success.
HOW TO APPLY
Preference will be given to a Lax Kw’alaams First Nation Member or persons with strong local Tsimshian knowledge.
Deadline for applications: January 28, 2022
Apply to: Human Resources
Email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org