In November 2019, the International Long shore and Warehouse Union (ILWU #505) union members met regarding the distribution of ILWU long shore applications. At this meeting, it was decided by the 247 union members in attendance that each union member would receive one application. They had also agreed to issue 5 applications to the Lax Kw’alaams Band, for casual employment.
The total applications will be dispersed in groups of 48 applications at a time. These applications will be chosen through a lottery system, until all applications have been dispersed. The Lax Kw’alaams Band applications are subject to the same lottery system. At present, we have 1 application to distribute, however we do anticipate receiving 4 more as they make their way though the upcoming intakes, and the ILWU union lottery system.
Interested Lax Kw’alaams members can email their resume to email@example.com OR drop off their resume in person at the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development office in Prince Rupert – 100 1st Ave East. Please note, if you had submitted your resume in previous years, you do not need to resubmit it this year to be considered for the lottery.
While we understand there is a lot of interest in these applications, we would like our members to understand the following:
- An application to ILWU is not a guaranteed job
- Workers can expect (at best) 1-2 days per week, and at times, no work at all
- Success is greater for those with a minimum part-time job
- Workers are required to be living in Prince Rupert
- Should an application lead to work, you will be required to start on the log ships
- Work on the log ships is physically demanding
- Members with First Aid, Safety, or Trade related backgrounds may have a higher chance of success
- Those receiving applications will be required to pass medical and possibly other types of exams
Those Lax Kw’alaams members interested in being considered for an application can email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org OR drop off their resume in person at the Lax Kw’alaams Business Development office in Prince Rupert – 100 1st Ave East.
Training will be provided on the job.